Companies FAQ

Q. How do I appoint a Company Secretary?

The easiest and quickest way to notify Companies House of an appointment is online via WebFiling, however, if you do not have the facility to file online you can download an appointment form AP03, and on completion send to Companies House, Crown Way, Cardiff CF14 3UZ

To appoint a Corporate Secretary you will need to download appointment form AP04

Since 6th April 2008 private companies now have the option whether or not they have a company secretary. If the company decides to no longer have a secretary after they will need to inform Companies House using form Resignation Form TM02.

Q. Can the company just have a sole director and no secretary?

Yes, as long as it is a private company and that the director is a natural person.

Q. Must a secretary also be a natural person or can they be a corporate?

The new provisions relating to natural directors do not apply to secretaries. Secretaries can still be corporate.

Q. Will the company be required to amend the Articles?

The company will be required to amend the Articles if there is specific reference to the company having a secretary. However if the Articles only refer to the secretaries duties there is no need to make an amendment.

Q. When the company amends the Articles what documentation must be submitted to Companies House?

The company must submit a written or special resolution together with an updated version of the Articles.

Q. How do I notify Companies House of the resignation of a secretary?

Notification to Companies House of the resignation of a Secretary (individual or corporate) can be online via Web Filing or you can download resignation form TM02